Saturday, March 19, 2011

Preparing to upgrade

11.4 was release a few days ago and before upgrading my main working environment I decided to give it a test drive on a Dell D630 with Intel Graphics.


Installing openSUSE-11.4-DVD-x86_64.iso on this machine was no problem at all.
The installer resembles the 11.3 version and I made the following choices:
- XFCE desktop
- Install using images
- Disable firewall
- Disable IPv6
At first boot, everything seemed to work. There were no driver issues and all the Dell buttons seemed to work.
Wireless networking (Intel 3945ABG) worked using NetworkManager and both hibernate / standby modes worked without any hick up.


To test things further I added some extra repositories to add software like XBMC,Chrome,Flash Player, VLC, DVD-support, sun-java and the latest kernel 2.6.38-1 (including the "Wonder Patch")
This is my repo config for now.
Another reboot and the grub menu showed 2 kernel versions (2.6.37 and 2.6.38) and I choose the latter.
Because I only upgrade the kernel-desktop package the computer stopped when trying to mount the drive.
I rebooted back into 2.6.37 to upgrade all system packages in the Kernel repo to the new version using YaST2:

When booting, the Grub menu now only shows the latest kernel (with a safe mode option) and the machine starts without any problem.

Let's test this setup for a while before upgrading the Macbook...

No comments:

Post a Comment