Even the grub menu did not display. (Graphical nor text)
I just had a black display with the word GRUB and a blinking cursor.
This is how I managed to repair the system.
- Boot from the DVD and choose the "Rescue system" option
- Login as root (empty password)
- mount /dev/sda2 /mnt (mount your root partition)
- mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot (mount the boot partition, if separate)
- mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev (hardware mounting)
- chroot /mnt (chroot into the system)
- mount /proc
- mount /sys
- Run YaST - System - Boot Loader
- Replace "Grub2" with "grub" and default options.
This fixed it for me...
I did try to repair grub2 first but never got past the black screen...