Sunday, January 27, 2013

Recover from GRUB blinking cursor

I tried to upgrade to the latest standard kernel but something went wrong and after the power cycle the system would not boot any longer.
Even the grub menu did not display. (Graphical nor text)
I just had a black display with the word GRUB and a blinking cursor.

This is how I managed to repair the system.


  1. Boot from the DVD and choose the "Rescue system" option
  2. Login as root (empty password)
  3. mount /dev/sda2 /mnt (mount your root partition)
  4. mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot (mount the boot partition, if separate)
  5. mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev (hardware mounting)
  6. chroot /mnt (chroot into the system)
  7. mount /proc
  8. mount /sys
  9. Run YaST - System - Boot Loader
  10. Replace "Grub2" with "grub" and default options.
  11. Reboot...
This fixed it for me... 
I did try to repair grub2 first but never got past the black screen...

No comments:

Post a Comment